Tuesday 7 October 2008

I Blow at Conde Nast



The last post about Alexander McQueen stirred up some memories that I could not help to share with you.

I work in fashion and everybody thinks that it's incredibly glamorous and we meet fabulous people all the time. Well, one day I did. And her name was Isabella Blow.

Stylist, fashionista, muse but, above all, a lady! I was doing Paris Fashion Week several years ago and I was informed that I needed to go to the Ritz hotel and do the make up for Isabella Blow. I immediately turned white. I hate doing celebrities, specially the ones I admire and this one was making me very nervous. For years she was a figure that I admired for her persona, her style, her poise and her personal look. And now I was being asked to create (recreate) that look.

I headed to the hotel and waiting in the lobby was scary enough. If you went to the Ritz in Paris you know that you can breath aristocracy, wealth and style. I was eventually summoned to her room and all the scenarios were going through my mind. "She is going to be a bitch, she is going to hate my make up, she is going to kick me out of her room, she is going to humiliate me..." I was ready for the worse when I knocked on her door. This very busy woman, with a white satin robe and jet black bob opens the door. "Miss Blow? I am here to do your make up."



"Oh, hello, darling. Am I having my make up done today? I totally forgot you were coming. Come in, sweety. Sorry for the mess but I am packing. You see, I have to go to Italy to do a movie. They insisted that I had to do an appearance on this movie. Apparently it's about this sea explorer like Jacques Cousteau. Anjelica Huston and Bill Murray are in it and the director is just a darling. He did the Tenenbaums. Did you see it?" -"Yes, I did.", I replied. "I loved it!" -"Didn't you? Oh, isn't it just the funniest thing? And smart! Of course, I couldn't say no to him. Shall we go to the bathroom, darling? It's all so short notice but it will do me good, darling. You see..."


"Oh, my God! I'm doing make up for Edina Monsoon!", I thought in my head. We headed for the bathroom and she sat on the edge of the bath tub. I asked what she liked and she just told me to do something natural, with a bit of an eyeliner but nothing too fancy. And she kept talking all the time. She was telling me about herself, about her life, about her husband, about her heartaches... But she was also asking about me. We were actually sharing stories and giving opinions about them. I was feeling like I was talking to a friend, someone that needed to talk about her life but also that cared for the life of others.



While I was doing her make up, she had her eyes closed but she kept saying "Thank you, darling!", "Oh, it's beautiful, darling!", "Oh, I love it, sweety!". Not once she opened her eyes! I was loving this woman and I was feeling like I was on episode of Ab Fab. When I finished her eyes, I asked her to take a look and tell me what she thought. "Oh, darling! It's amazing! I love it! You are very talented! I feel beautiful! I love it!" She was beautiful but not from the make up. From the energy she gave, for this incredible human being that had this simplicity about her that was disarming.



I finished the make up with her signature red lip and started packing up my kit. She was now moving around the room when I ear her picking up the phone. She was calling the concierge "Hello, darling? Oh, I need to leave today and I was wondering if you could send someone up to help me pack. Oh, thank you!" As I entered the room, she is putting the phone down and looks at me "I just don't know where I put one shoe! I'm hopeless! Thank God they are coming up to help me!" I can't help but smile. I ask her if she needs anything else or if she doesn't mind if I go. "Of course not, darling! You have to go to shows, I presume. I loved your work. Do you come to London? You should write me an email and stay in touch. I don't have a business card but it's very easy to remember. iblow@condenast". I looked at her and I laughed. I didn't mean to but it just came out. She looks at me puzzled for half a second and then bursts out laughing as well. "Oh, I know, darling!"



The guy from the hotel was knocking at the door and I take that as my cue to leave. Before I go, she gives me a 20 € tip and wishes me all the best. Months later I find myself in a movie theater watching "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" and I see Miss Blow on the big screen. I smile and I remember those 30 minutes we spent together. You still put a smile on my face, Isabella Blow. May you rest in peace!

2 comments:

C A said...

How I loved Isabella!
Her style was unique!

Graven said...

You know something...

I never forgot that email, nor the story that goes along with it.