Thursday 2 October 2008

Vaseline, anyone?!



29 September. École des Beaux Arts.

One of the most beautiful schools I've ever seen. And an inspiration alone for the countless shows I've done there. I still remember a Dries Van Notten show, all in black, with the girls wearing black magnolias in their hair.

Vivienne Westwood is presenting her Gold Label tonight. After her show last season, totally designed by children, I was quite curious about what was going on for Spring Summer. We were introduced to this rock and roll lady. I wouldn't be surprised if Viv herself was the inspiration for this one. Everything was quite tailored to look effortless, baggy and against the system. We had "cocktales by the pool" hats, purple capes and vinyl overalls. All in gorgeous shoes and boots!


The make up was designed by Pep Gay, a Spanish make up artist, that was inspired by the thirties. Think of a rococo Man Ray... in black. The lips were originally very graphic, with very sharp and straight lines but it kept changing into a more rounded, more Victorian lip. The eyes were lined from within, top and bottom, with a black pencil. No foundation on the face. And when i say nothing, is nothing!



Panic time! The show is suppose to begin and we still have girls to do. Crazy, crazy, girls being stolen for rehearsal with no hair or make up. Here i am, on my knees, doing a girl at hair. Can you imagine doing that lip while her head is being pulled by a hairdresser? And for what? For a 1h30m delay!!!! For fuck sake, why do people have to stress when the previous show hasn't even started?! We just stood there for over an hour doing nothing but smoking cigarettes and eating grapes!

In one of my trips outside to have a fag (we can't smoke anywhere in France now. Fascists!), I spot this tanned, bearded, dead cute photographer looking straight at me. As I pass him, I smile and he goes, in portuguese, "Don't I know you?". In my head I go "Wish you would!!". We started chatting politely, him "Blablabla", me "U-Uh", him "Blablabla", me "Right", him "Oh, I will start going to Madrid regularly", me "YES!", him "My boyfriend lives there", me "Fuck!". We exchanged numbers in the end so, any updates will be informed!


Finally the show is about to start and, of course, it has to be chaos for something to be done so, at last minute, we have to add vaseline on every inch of skin, face and all. Here we are, all stupid at this time (the option would be to shoot ourselves for the time we were waiting), lubing all the models, the girls joining in and putting vaseline on our face... I swear to God, by the end of the show, I could have fisted someone with no problem. I'm sure Viv would have a laugh!

1 comment:

Graven said...

Flawless eyeliner! Kudos!

As for the cute photographer, like Interpol sing, "No I en threesome"? :)